Saturday, March 1, 2014

Guinness Beef Stew

   I admit to being a picky eater even though I want to be a chef when I grow up. To be a chef, I think you have to have a broad taste in food. To face this weakness, I found a Guinness Beef Stew. When I made it, I tried the stew...I LOVED IT! I didn't know what I missing not eating my mom's pot roast! The recipe is down below and I hope you enjoy this beef stew as much as I do.

Guinness Beef Stew

Ingredients:

1 (3 1/2 to 4 lb) boneless beef chuck-eye roast, pulled apart at seams, trimmed, and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

Salt and Pepper

3 Tablespoon vegetable oil

2 onions, chopped fine 

1 tablespoon tomato paste

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup of all-purpose flour

3 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 1/4 cups Guinness Draught

1 1/2 packed dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme 

Preferable amount of Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled or washed, cut into 1-inch pieces

Preferable amounts of carrots, peeled or washed and cut into 1-inch pieces

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Instructions:

1. Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high until shimmering. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes.

2. Add tomato paste and garlic and cook until rust-colored and fragrant about 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in broth, 3/4 Guinness, sugar and thyme, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in beef and return to simmer. Transfer to slow-cooker and cook for 90 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.

3. Stir in potatoes and carrots and continue cooking until beef and vegetables are tender about 1 hour, stirring halfway through cooking. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup Guinness and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.  



No comments:

Post a Comment